So I'm working on some nutritious, delicious meals that will fuel our exercise and help us lose those *few* pounds we both gained on the trip. We really liked this meal. It was quick, easy to put together, tasty, and has lots of good carbs from veggies and brown rice, and protein from the scallops.
The rice I used is a brown rice blend consisting of long grain brown rice, whole grain Wehani rice and whole grain Black Japonica rice. I used chopped spinach, bell peppers, and mango. Other veggies would work well too, like various combinations including asparagus, mushrooms, and zucchini. The mango gave the salad a nice sweet touch. I think pineapple would be good also.
I served the salad warm for dinner. We had the left overs for lunches cold out of the fridge and also mixed in with left over asparagus soup, which was divine!
|Brown rice blend|
|Spinach, bell peppers, and mango|
Brown Rice and Veggie Salad
Yield: 8 servings
Total time: 70 minutes (almost all is the rice cooking)
2 cups whole grain brown rice blend, cooked per directions to make 4 cups
1 ½ cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
1 ½ cup chopped bell pepper, yellow and green
1 mango, finely diced, and any juice (reserve a few dice for serving)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook rice following package directions.
2. Stir in chopped veggies, mango and any mango juice.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Rest dish for 10 minutes to soften/wilt veggies.
5. Serve topped with seared scallops.
Yield: 4 servings
Total time: 6 minutes
16 large scallops, rinsed and patted dry
Salt and Pepper
1 TBSP canola oil
1. Heat skillet over med-high heat.
2. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
3. Sautee scallops for 2 minutes per side.
4. Remove and serve over salad with sprinkle of chopped mango.