Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Recipe for Mango Crisp


We don’t eat a lot of dessert at home, it’s more of a treat when we go out and we tend to share.  Mr. ELEB loves fruit pies, crumbles, crisps, all those fruity possibilities for dessert.  Me, I’m more into chocolate, caramel etc.  So, picking something to share is often challenging.

I do recognize that for the most part, the fruit options are better for us but rationalize the chocolate because “I eat whole fruit several times a day” and “it’s a treat and a little bit of something richly chocolate goes a long way.”  Plus, as you can see from the nutrition breakdown here, just because something is a fruit dessert doesn’t mean it isn’t “Big Eats”.



But on this particular day, I had some nice ripe mangos calling my name.  I had also, in the recent pantry sort out, come across a bag of 10 grain hot cereal I’d bought a while back to add in to my homemade whole wheat bread.  It’s a blend of whole grain: wheat, rye, triticale, oats, oat bran, corn, barley, soy beans, brown rice, millet and flaxseed.  WOW!

There is a recipe for 10 grain muffins on the bag which I hope to tackle some day but for today, I thought I’d give it a try as a topping for the fruit instead of just rolled oats.   It is a finely ground mix, so I was a little unsure, but it turned out just fine and gave the crisp an interesting (in a good way) granular texture.  We both thought it would be great for breakfast too!

Makes 6 servings, each with approximately 220 calories, 6.5 grams fat, 44 grams carbs, 4 grams fiber, 3.5 grams protein, 6 WW Points+ (plus gelato, yogurt or whipped cream)

Ingredients:
3 cups chopped mango (or other fruit)
¼ cup (+ 2 TBSP-optional) brown sugar divided
½ cup 10 grain hot cereal (I used Bob’s Mill)
3 TBSP butter, plus more for prepping pie plate

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Butter pie plate and place fruit over bottom.  Sprinkle with 2 TBSP brown sugar if using.   

Mix cereal and ¼ cup brown sugar and sprinkle over fruit.  Dot top with butter.




Bake for x 35 minutes or until brown and bubbly. 

Serve plain, with low fat gelato, whipped cream or Greek yogurt.


What’s your preference in desserts?


Printable Recipe