Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Recipe for "Sate" Roasted Chicken



This is one moist and delicious chicken, if I do say so myself, and I do!  Another experiment with some of the Penzey's spices I picked up on a recent trip to the mainland [and no, Penzey's isn't sponsoring these posts : -)]. This roasted chicken is slathered in a slurry of olive oil and Indonesian Sate seasoning (that's their spelling). I roasted it following my favorite "not just for special occasions" method.  It's foolproof.  The meat is so moist and the Sate seasoning was fantastic.


So, you might be wondering "what's in that Sate seasoning Susie Bee?"  Here is the list of ingredients:  
salt, brown sugar, garlic, onion, coriander, shallots, ginger, turmeric, sweet paprika, Ancho pepper, galangal, cayenne red pepper and lemon grass.  Now you know why it is so tasty!


Time: 1 1/2 hours
Yield: 6 servings


Ingredients:

  • 4.5 lb organic free range chicken
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 TBSP Penzey’s sate seasoning
  • ½ large sweet onion, cut into chunks
  • Salt and pepper

Method:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees with a Dutch oven on center rack.
  • Remove gizzards and other parts from inside chicken.
  • Rinse chicken and pat dry.  Tuck wings under body.
  • Loosen skin over breast and legs (SEE OTHER POST).
  • Combine olive oil and seasoning.
  • Rub ½ of seasoning/oil mixture under skin.
  • Salt and pepper inside of cavity and place onion inside.
  • Rub remaining seasoning/oil mixture over outside of chicken.
  • When oven is at temperature, carefully place chicken inside Dutch oven.
  • Give Dutch oven a quick shake.
  • Cook for 1 hour or until thigh temperature reaches 160 degrees, turning pan ½ way through and basting chicken with pan juices.
  • Cover loosely with foil if skin gets too brown during cooking.
  • Remove pan from oven and chicken from pan.
  • Cover loosely and let rest for 15 minutes and then cut into pieces to serve.
Ready for the oven

Resting

Since I started following this method, I can't bring myself to buy a store cooked chicken.  Even with just a seasoning of salt and pepper, a chicken cooked this way is so much better than the best store cooked chicken I've ever had.  I'm not saying that in a pinch I wouldn't pick one up, but otherwise, home cooked for me!

I'm dreaming up other uses for this wonderful seasoning-any ideas?