Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Recipe for Sweet and Sour Grilling Glaze




Mr. ELEB chuckles sometimes when he sees me standing in front of an open pantry or refrigerator door.  I understand why…you can almost see the steam coming out of my ears as I’m looking at what’s in front of me and concocting possibilities in my head.  He also laughs because he knows that he might get something really yummy, occasionally something yucky.  Well, he lucked out on this most recent experiment!

It was burger night-I had defrosted some ground buffalo-and I was pondering what to do in front of the open fridge door.  I didn’t a want cheeseburger so I was trying to come up with ingredients to make the burgers interesting.    I had a bottle of white wine open (imagine that), some garlic, ginger, and I spied the bottle of ponzu tucked away in the door shelf.  I figured with some brown sugar and mustard, I could probably cook up a reasonably good glaze to add a nice layer of flavor to the meat.

Voilà!  Here’s my sweet and sour grilling glaze.



Time: 35 minutes plus grilling time
Yield: ½ cup

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • ¼ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp finely minced garlic
  • 1 tsp finely grated ginger
  • 2 TBSP ponzu or soy sauce


Method:
  • Whisk all ingredients together and bring to boil.
  • Reduce to low boil and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, for 30 minutes or until reduced to ½ cup.
Top-fully reduced, bottom left-start, bottom right-half way reduced

Cook your burgers on the grill as you normally would, adding the glaze for the last 5 minutes.  The brown sugar will burn so watch the burgers carefully. 

I’ll be trying this out on other meats and maybe on grilled veggies and pineapple-will let you know how that goes!

Do you make your own grilling sauces?

Printable Recipe