Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Newton's Fruit Thins Gelato Sammies


Mr. ELEB and I are big fans of Fig Newtons, especially the 100% whole grain version. It is a go to snack for him an hour or two before he heads off for an afternoon run. There is always a bag in our pantry!



So you can imagine that I was particularly pleased to receive a complimentary bag of Newton's new Fruit Thins as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program to try.  They come in three flavors: Cranberry Citrus Oat, Chocolate Raspberry, and Blueberry Brown Sugar.  The package I received was the Blueberry Brown Sugar.





As you can see, the cookies, as advertised, are thin.  They are made with real dried blueberries which is a plus.  They also have whole grain wheat flour, flax seeds, and rolled oats.  None of these are the primary ingredient (unbleached enriched flour) but I give Kraft credit for including these ingredients which provide 8 grams of whole grains per serving.  There aren't any unpronounceable ingredients which is also a plus.  There is sugar and, of course, brown sugar.  I did find the cookies a little too sweet for my taste and Mr. ELEB did not care for them.


I guess we have just been spoiled by the original Newtons.  We weren't blown away by these cookies out of the package.  However, I did use some all natural vanilla gelato to make gelato sammies and did like the cookies in them.  I also think they would work crumbled up over ice cream or gelato or crushed to be used in a crust or crumble.


The taste is fine, a pretty natural flavor.  They reminded me somewhat of a crispy Digestive which I love.  So I think it was the sweetness that was the negative for me.  The creaminess of the gelato helped temper this and I think that's why I liked them much better that way.




Have you tried any new stuff lately?  Winners/losers?  Hope you're having a great 4th of July!