Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recipe for Poached White Fish


Still on our quest to eat fish several times a week and to eat what is sustainable, I made this flavorful dish.  I am drawn these days to Indian spices and am trying to use them in new ways in my cooking.  I’ll admit that Indian cooking is intimidating to me.  So many ingredients (many of which I can’t find here on Maui!) and so many steps.  I know the results are worth the effort, but I find myself venturing slowly into this arena.

This dish however, was easy!  Any firm white fish would work.  And the magical garam masala gives a great Indian flavor with so little effort.  Sorry, I didn’t snap any photos during the cooking but honestly, pretty straightforward method!
Ingredients:
10 ounces firm white fish
1 cup basmati rice
Water for cooking rice (per your recipe or rice cooker instructions)
1 ½ tsp turmeric, divided
1 TBSP finely chopped fresh ginger
1 ½ TBSP grated fresh ginger
½ cup V8 juice
½ white wine
½ cup water
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 TBSP chopped green onion
1 can light coconut milk

Method:
Put basmati rice on to cook (I used my rice cooker) with 1 tsp turmeric and 1 TBSP finely chopped ginger. 
When rice is ready, poach fish, covered, for about 5 minutes (or until starting to separate when gently pressed with a spatula) in equal parts V8, white wine, and water (about ½ cup each) with ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ TBSP grated fresh ginger, and 2 TBSP chopped green onions.
While fish is cooking, heat a can of light coconut milk with 1 TBSP grated ginger and 1/2 cup poaching liquid.
Serve fish over rice with coconut milk mixture.   Garnish with chopped green onions, salt and pepper.
Do you have any Indian dishes that you make at home?  How are you cooking your fish lately (you are eating your fish, right?)  I'll have another fish recipe for you tomorrow.

Printable Recipe