Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recipe for Ahi Edamame Nachos


One of our go to snacks is chips (usually a “healthy” variety-whole grain, multi-grain, baked, lower fat etc) and a dip of some sort.  Maybe hummus, maybe edamame purée, or perhaps a wickedly rich jalapeno and artichoke spread when we’re feeling like a treat.  So I was pleased when the folks at Tostitos asked me to try their new Artisan Recipes Flavored Tortilla Chips.  I haven’t seen them yet on Maui.  We always get new stuff later than you do on the mainland :-{

The two flavors I received from Tostitos were Fire-Roasted Chipotle and Roasted Garlic and Black Bean.  Today, I’m trying out the Chipotle flavor.

Just plain out of the bag, I like the chips.  If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you know I’m a bit of a weenie when it comes to spicy heat.  To me, these are just perfect: a bit of heat, a lot of flavor.  I also like that they are made with 100% natural ingredients, have no artificial flavors, no preservatives, no trans fats and provide 8 grams of whole grains in a 1 oz. serving (140 calories, 7 grams fat, 18 grams carbs, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein).


The chips are light and pretty thin so I wondered how they would hold up to dips and toppings.  I made an edamame purée (recipe below) which is pretty thick.  I usually put in a bit of heat (chile, hot sauce etc) but with the flavor of the chip, none was needed.  No breakage when dipping into the purée so I gave them a definite passing grade there.  I also built a yummy appetizer: Ahi Edamame Nachos (below) and they held up quite good again.

Finally, I compared these to our normal multi-grain chips (1 oz. serving-140 calories, 6 grams fat, 18 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein).  They also come in various flavors-we usually buy the plain ones-and are also all natural.  They are thicker than Tostitos and have slightly less sodium (neither has much).

Here’s the recipe for the purée and how I made the nachos.  Enjoy!

Edamame Purée

1 ½ cups shelled edamame, cooked per package and cooled
Salt to taste (about a tsp of kosher salt)
2 TBSP toasted sesame oil
2 TBSP vegetable broth
optional-finely diced jalapeno pepper or drops of hot sauce


Combine all ingredients in food processor until smooth.


Ahi Edamame Nachos

Edamame purée
Tostito’s Fire-Roasted Chipotle Tortilla Chips
Ahi tuna, raw, sliced very thinly
Few drops of toasted sesame oil for garnish
Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
Optional-few drops of soy sauce for garnish



Spoon a generous teaspoon full of purée on the chip.  Top with a thin slice of good quality ahi tuna, a drizzle of sesame oil and sprinkling of sesame seeds.


These were really yummy.  Mr. ELEB tried his with a splash of soy sauce and really liked them that way too, so I've added that in as an option.

What’s your favorite go to snack?

I've added something new to the bottom of the posts.  I know (because I see the "stats") that alot of you read each day but don't comment.  That's cool. I read alot of blogs and don't comment on all of them. I hope you know that I'd love to hear anything you have to say, hear about your recipes that are similar to mine etc but more than anything, I'm glad you're coming back every day to read and look at my blog! 

So if you feel inclined to say "hi" but don't want to deal with submitting a comment, check one of the boxes at the bottom of the post and let me know whether you like the recipe/idea enough to give it a try, or are just browsing.  I thought about adding "don't like it" but figured if you felt that way you'd probably write a comment.  And, that would be OK too!




Printable Recipe
As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program I received these Tostitos Artisan Chips.  The opinions are my own.