Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Recipe for Rosemary White Bean Chicken


I’m so happy to finally have some herbs growing in my garden (don’t hate me those of you in winter climates!).  The rosemary is by the front door steps so I’ve been patiently waiting for it to get established, longing to cut some every time I pass by.  I decided it was time!


I had defrosted some chicken breasts without any specific plan so this came together sort of haphazardly.  We really enjoyed it and the only change Mr. ELEB requested was “maybe a bit of sauce with it”. 

I had purposely kept the calorie count as low as I could because we had an amazing pie for dessert (recipe to come soon) so I passed on making a sauce.  I was fine without it, loved the crunchy/cheesy topping and dominant rosemary flavor, but next time I’ll probably use the tomato liquid and some broth, mixed with some pureed beans to make a “sauce”.  That really won’t add much to the calorie count and Mr. ELEB will be happy!

6 servings, each approximately 309 calories, 5.5 grams fat, 30 grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 36 grams protein; 7 WW Points +


Ingredients:
4 medium chicken breasts cut in to bite size pieces
1 quart chicken broth
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 - 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
3 TBSP finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
1 TBSP good balsamic vinegar
1 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup whole wheat panko, pulsed a few times in food processor
Cooking spray

Method:
Poach chicken in broth for 10 minutes. 

Drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix beans, tomatoes, 2 TBSP rosemary, vinegar, salt and pepper together.

Add chicken and 1/2 of cheese.


Spray casserole dish with cooking spray.
Add chicken and veggie mixture.


Mix panko, remaining rosemary, and remaining cheese together and sprinkle over top of casserole.


Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and warmed through.


I served it on top of a small serving of whole grain pasta for a filling main course.



Printable Recipe