Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Method for Perfect Hardboiled Eggs



I have borderline high cholesterol so for years I’ve avoided eggs and used egg substitute.  The cholesterol level was high until I made some dietary and exercise changes; I’m now off medicine other than over the counter.  Let’s face it though,  as good as egg substitute can be for scrambles and in baking, nothing subs for a good hardboiled egg or a well prepared deviled egg.

The most recent recommendations I’ve seen from the American Heart Association recommend limiting cholesterol intake to no more than 300mg / day.   This is just more than 1 egg yolk so they suggest using egg whites and limiting egg yolks.  However, according the the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, there is no evidence in population studies (versus feeding studies) that eating eggs leads to high cholesterol nor the development of heart disease.

 

I don’t have eggs everyday so I think an occasional egg yolk isn’t going to be a big deal (for me at least, you have to decide for you).  The great thing about hardboiled eggs is that you can eat just the white if you would like.

I was always stumped on what was the right time to cook eggs so the yolk was done but not rubbery and I hated that sulfury looking ring that developed around the yolk sometimes.  I don’t recall who taught me the following method, but it works like a charm, every time.

1 large egg:  75 calories, 5 grams fat, 0.6 grams carbs, 6 grams protein
1 large egg white: 17 calories, 0.1 grams fat, 0.2 grams carbs, 5 grams protein


Put your eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
Put the saucepan on high heat and bring water to a boil. 
Remove saucepan from heat and cover.
Wait 15 minutes and immediately rinse thoroughly in cold water until the eggs feel cool to the touch.
Crack, peel and eat, or put in fridge for later.

The secret to a clean peel is the immediate rinse in cold water.
I believe it is felt that starting them out in cold water prevents the ugly ring around the yolk.  I haven’t had one since using this method.

I love being able to grab an egg out of the fridge for a quick snack.  I find them very filling and satisfying.  For breakfast, along with my overnight oatmeal, I’ll sometimes have one egg plus the egg white from a second.



Do you eat a lot of eggs?  What's your favorite egg recipe?

Printable Recipe