Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Recipe for French Yogurt Cake

It was a rare rainy afternoon here in paradise and I got the itch to bake.  I really didn’t want to go to the store so I looked at my list of recipes “to try” and found a Dorie Greenspan recipe for French Yogurt Cake, adapted and published in the NY Times.  I checked the pantry and had what I needed.  Easy decision.

I did my own adaptation by substituting some whole wheat pastry flour for some of the AP flour and some sucralose for some of the sugar, and instead of glazing with marmalade, I layered the cake and put jam between the layers.

This is so simple tasting, yet elegant at the same time.  It reminds me of some of the simple cakes my Granny and Nana made when I was young growing up in England.  Faintly almond flavored, not very sweet, perfect actually for breakfast or afternoon tea (I’m hoping you’re holding your little finger out, I am).



I’m adding this to my “easy to whip together” file.  I love recipes that are versatile and this one is just that.  Bake it in a loaf pan instead of the round cake pan.  Serve fresh fruit on top, or glaze it with warmed marmalade or jam, or spread it with chocolate-hazelnut spread (oooh, I wish I had some in the pantry).  Endless possibilities!

Makes 10 servings, each approximately 245 calories, 15 grams fat, 23 grams carbs, 5 grams of protein; 7 WW Points + (cake and jam, no toppings)

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
½ cup ground almonds (½ cup after grinding)
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
6 TBSP sugar
6 TBSP sucralose
3 large eggs
¼ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup canola oil
Apricot or other jam, fruit, or other spread for in between the layers

Optional toppings:
Powdered sugar
Whipped Cream
Ground Almonds
Fresh fruit

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray cake pan with cooking spray. 
Grind almonds in food processor until finely ground.
Whisk together almond, flours, baking powder, and salt.
Put sugar and lemon zest in a separate bowl and rub together with fingers to moisten sugar and distribute zest.  Add yogurt, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
Whisk in the dry ingredients and then stir in the oil, combining well.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and sides are pulling away from pan and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack for 5 minutes then run a knife around the edges to loosen. 
Place a plate over the top of the pan and turn over to remove from pan.
Place another plate on top of the cake and return to right-side up.
Cool completely.
Slice cake horizontally with a serrated knife to make 2 layers.
Warm the jam in the microwave and spread on bottom layer; position 2nd layer back on top.
Dust with powdered sugar or add a dollop of whipped cream and some ground almonds before serving.
According to the Times, the plain cake (before jam) can be wrapped airtight and frozen for 2 months.

Give this a try and let me know what you think!

Printable Recipe