Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Recipe for Lemony Salmon and Dill Toss



I've been determined not to gain weight over the holidays and so far so good (**I've actually lost a couple of lbs**). We've been eating a lot of meals like this one with the occasional treat/big meal thrown in. I've stayed away from most of the baking and treats that are prevalent in the cooking/blogging/magazine/recipe world right now. Honestly, we haven't missed them and if we have to have a little bit of a treat, I still have some of the Sans Rival cake in the freezer!


I've been instructed to tell you first off that this gets the Mr. ELEB seal of approval.  OK, done, now I'll share the recipe with you!  I was inspired by a recipe from Prevention Magazine to make this dish.  They used canned salmon though and I wanted to use fresh. I also used whole wheat pasta where their recipe called for regular white pasta.


I think this would be fine with canned salmon but if you can get fresh, why not?  My grocery store had some beautiful sockeye salmon so that's what I used.

I love putting tasty healthy food on the table in under thirty minutes!


Yield: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • ¾ lb. fresh salmon (I used sockeye)
  • 1 ½ cups white wine (or broth)
  • 1 ½ cup chopped fresh asparagus pieces
  • 3 TBSP lemon juice
  • 3 TBSP chopped dried dill
  • 1 ½ TBSP olive oil
  • 2 TBSP capers
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
  • ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Lemon slices for serving.


Method:
  • Cook pasta according to directions on package.
  • While pasta cooks, poach salmon in white wine for 4-5 minutes until just cooked and beginning to flake.  Remove from wine and cut in to bite size pieces.
  • In a separate pan, steam asparagus until slightly tender, about 4-5 minutes.
  • Combine lemon juice and zest, dill, olive oil, capers, drained pasta, salmon, cheese, salt and pepper.
  • Serve with lemon slices.
Despite being a pasta dish, and whole wheat at that, this turned out nice and light.  The lemon and capers really made the dish.  I wish I could have found some fresh dill as the dill flavor didn't come through as much as I would have liked but it was still good. I'd just up the amount next time if using dried dill.

Hope you'll give this a try and let me know what you think.