Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 bell peppers, I used one red and one yellow
- 1 TBSP canola oil
- 1 can organic black beans
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup (or more) chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut peppers in half, remove seeds, and press with hand to flatten
- Toss peppers with canola oil and place on baking sheet.
- Broil peppers for 5 minutes or so per side until charred.
- Remove peppers from tray and place in covered bowl for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove skin from peppers and chop.
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Combine beans, peppers, avocado, cilantro, cumin, lime juice and zest.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Chill briefly before serving.
This keeps really well for a couple of days in the fridge (the avocado will eventually start to brown but the lime juice helps retard that for a while). Wrapped in a tortilla, it makes a nice veggie lunch and served over scrambled egg whites makes for a tasty breakfast.