Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Friday Night Fajitas

Do you have a "go to" recipe?  One that you know will never fail you, that you can pull together flawlessly when its the end of the work week, you're tired, cranky, or just not that into cooking that night?  My recipe for chicken fajitas fills that bill for me.  I've been making them for years and they always turn out great, good for just the 2 of us with leftovers (you know I love to cook once and eat twice, or more!) and much appreciated by company.

When we moved to Maui, I couldn't find the Mexican Seasoning I had been using forever.  I was not going to give up my "go to" meal and asked several of my mainland friends as well as my Mom to send me some of the seasoning.  No one could find it so I guess it's no longer made.  I experimented with some different taco, Mexican, and fajita seasonings and am currently using a brand name taco seasoning with 10 calories/TBSP. 

These fajitas are pretty healthy.   Lean white chicken breasts, (you could use thighs if you like those better), lots of bell pepper and onions, a modest amount of fat (canola oil and avocado), whole wheat tortillas.  I serve them with black beans with chopped cilantro for an easy side dish.  I hope you'll try these and see if they become one of your Friday Night go to meals!

Friday Night Fajitas
Makes about 4 servings each with approximately 472 calories, 41 grams carbs, 17 grams fat, 41 grams protein for 1/4 of chicken/veggie mix, 1 whole wheat tortilla (mine contributes 130 calories), 1 TBSP low fat cheese, 1 TBSP guac, 1 TBSP taco sauce, 1 tsp LF sour cream

Ingredients:
1 1/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken sliced into thin 2 inch long pieces
1 large green bell pepper sliced into thin strips
1 large red bell pepper (or whatever bell peppers you have) sliced into thin strips
1 large onion sliced thinly
2 TBSP canola oil
4-6 TBSP taco seasoning, depending on how seasoned you like it
Whole wheat tortillas

For toppings:
Low fat shredded 4 cheese Mexican cheese
Guacamole
Low fat sour cream
Chopped cilantro
Red taco sauce (mild, medium, hot)
Lime wedges

Method:
Heat 1 TBSP of oil over med-high heat and add onions and peppers and 1/2 of taco seasoning.  Cook, stirring occasionally until veggies are softened.  Remove from pan, put in bowl and put inside microwave to stay warm and steam (this helps soften the veggies even more and makes them so nice in your fajita!).






Add the 2nd TBSP of oil to pan and when hot add chicken and remainder of seasoning.  Cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through. 














Add veggies back in and stir to combine.  Remove from heat.











Heat tortilla in microwave for 15 seconds (for soft) or in a small, dry fry pan over med-high heat until lightly browned on each side (about 1 minute or less per side for a slightly crisp, but still foldable tortilla).









Place tortilla on serving plate.  The order of adding toppings is up to you but I like to put the cheese down first and then the meat, so the cheese can melt a bit, then the guac, sour cream,  few drops of taco sauce, and sprinkle of cilantro (I love cilantro, if you aren't a fan, leave it out), and a few drops of lime juice.  Position all the goodies down the middle of the tortilla, about 2 inches from the bottom.  Fold up the bottom, then roll one side over, followed by the other side.  It is an art-practice makes perfect!  My hubby and I have a bit of competition to see who can avoid having a "blow out".  I usually win-he overstuffs his!  I will have a nice full fajita and then have a bit of meat and veggie left over to eat on its own.

You can also omit the tortilla and have the meat  and veggies over lettuce if you are limiting your starch/grain intake.  I'll often do that for lunch the next day.

Just Right!

Serve with cilantro black beans, or black beans with lime juice and cumin stirred in.  Or topped with sour cream...endless possibilities with this meal.  Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. Had fajitas this Saturday and I love them so much that I can have then almost everyday! Great post!
    Thanx for visiting my space and for your kind words! Its means so much to me!
    Keep up the good work and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @prerna-Thanks and will do. Just found a recipe for homemade paneer-getting organized to make that palak paneer from your site! I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Susie, I like this recipe. I've never made fajitas before, only tacos. These look very quick and easy -my 2 favorite things:)Do you think I can substitute wraps instead of tortillas? The brand sold here is really tasteless so I won't mention the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Arlene-Yes I think a wrap would work. It is also very good over a salad without any wrap/tortilla.

    ReplyDelete