Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Asian Chard Salad with Mushrooms and Bell Pepper

How many of you are lucky enough to have a wonderful farmer’s market nearby? Or access to locally grown produce? After moving here to Maui from the SF Bay Area, one of the first things I had to adjust to was that a lot of the locally grown stuff, the good stuff, went to the Resorts/Restaurants on the island. I was spoiled in NoCal, good produce was everywhere, at every store, and on every corner it seemed.

There are farmer’s markets here to get great stuff if you can get up and out of the house early in the mornings. I am up early; getting out of the house early, not so much. Fortunately, a wonderfully smart businesswoman here started a business of providing home delivery of locally grown produce, as well as local artisan products (jam, bread…) and local fish.  Every Wednesday I get my “goodie box” delivered right to the front door. Her name is Roxanne Tiffin and you can read more about her company, Kula Fields.

I am never sure what will show up in my box! I’m lucky that I have time to research recipes and also that I have a hubby who will eat anything. Really, anything…

Some of the culinary delights he sampled on our trip to China; those who tried them said they were very tasty!

Well, Roxanne hasn’t delivered any sandworms or water beetles but week after week she provides us with most of our veggies. I love that it is local stuff, that-even in a small way-I’m helping local farmers and Roxanne succeed and in turn they are helping Maui become more self sustained.

If you saw my post yesterday for Whole Wheat Pizza, you may recall that I served a simple chard salad with the pizza. Today, the last few chard leaves were calling to be eaten so I rummaged around in the veggie drawer and found some mushrooms and a red bell pepper that I thought would make a nice lunch salad with the chard. I do love an Asian vinaigrette on chard so I whipped some of that up and served the salad with some left over grilled chicken breast to round out my South Beach lunch.

Asian chard, red pepper and mushroom salad; makes one serving of about 2+ cups

Approximately 211 calories, 17 grams carbs, 14 grams fat, 7 grams protein 
Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ cups chopped chard
  • ½ cup chopped mushrooms
  • ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 ½ tsp EVOO
  • 1 ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 1 TBSP rice vinegar (could use another vinegar if you don’t have rice vinegar)
  • 1 TBSP plus a shake of seasoning (I used an all natural salt free “Oriental Blend” that has sesame seeds, garlic, pepper, onion as main ingredients)
Method:
Wash and dry the chard leaves and remove any big stems. Roll the leaves and cut into ribbons. Place in salad bowl with chopped mushrooms and chopped pepper. Whisk the oils, vinegar and seasoning together and pour over salad. Toss and add another shake of the seasoning to the top of the salad. Serve with 3 oz of protein for a satisfying South Beach meal.

The red bell pepper looked great with the red veins in the chard.
Chard is a wonderful source of fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin K, as well as many other nutrients.

 Have you cooked with chard? I’ve only eaten it raw in salads like today’s recipe-would love to hear your experience with this mega-green.

Thanks to those of you who are “following” the blog and for your comments! In case you aren’t sure how all that works, here are some instructions (and I’m figuring it out too so let me know if I didn’t get it right!)
  • To follow with your Yahoo or Google account, click on “Follow” in the “Followers” section in the lower left column and select your account provider.
  • To have all the posts added to your RSS feed, click on the orange “Posts” (and “Comments” if you would also like those) in the “Subscribe To” area in the upper left column.
  • To add a comment, there is a box under each post “Posted by Susie Bee on Maui at 8/31/2010 08:23:00 PM 3 comments ” click on “3 comments” (or whatever it says at the time) which will take you to a comment page. I will try to reply to all questions.
  • If you want to email the post to someone or to yourself for future reference, click on the envelope icon (see above bullet) and that will take you to the proper page to do that.
  • You can also follow us on Facebook; log in to your Facebook account and search for Eat Little, Eat Big or click "like" on this page in the "Like on Facebook" box.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I sometimes saute onions and mushrooms and then add chard for a wilted medley, splash of vino, little S&P, easy. I also chop it and add it last to stirfry. Lastly, it's a good healthy addition to a rustic Italian tomato and meat sauce. Saute with the onion and garlic, and build your sauce as you normally would. Cut the chard into little ribbons. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @anonymous-the sautee sounds really good. Got some more chard in the produce delivery this week so I will give that a try. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete