Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Microwave Popcorn

Do you know how easy it is to make popcorn in the microwave? I don’t mean the many varieties of prepackaged popcorn which can contain various oils and additives. I mean just plain ole’ corn popped in the microwave in a paper bag with just hot air. How easy is that?
I heard about this on the South Beach chat boards-gave it a try and now I’m hooked. I like that I can add just the right amount of salt and flavorings. And, it is very filling!

I bought a store brand of white popcorn (ingredient list: white popcorn. That’s it.) One quarter of a cup of kernels makes about 3 cups of popcorn at 130 calories (that’s if you don’t pour melted butter all over it!).  This counts as a starch/grain serving.

Microwave Popcorn
Approximately 130 calories, 26 grams carbs, 1.5 grams fat, 4 grams protein for 3 cups popped

Ingredients:
¼ cup white popcorn kernels
Paper lunch bag
Salt
Optional:
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray (ICBINB)
Additional seasonings (powdered ranch dressing, garlic powder, sour cream and onion powder…)

Method:
Measure ¼ cup of kernels and place in paper lunch bag.  Fold top of bag over twice (small folds). Place on its side in microwave, gently shake to distribute kernels evenly and set microwave to popcorn setting or for 3 ½ minutes on high. Don’t leave the microwave-listen for gap between pops to reduce and stop microwave when gap is 4-5 seconds.

Truffled microwave popcorn!
 Remove from microwave and carefully open bag into serving bowl. I spritzed the popped corn 5-6 times with ICBINB and sprinkled with salt (amount per your taste).  Experiment with various seasonings to your heart’s content! I used truffle salt on my most recent bag.
Easy, inexpensive, healthy.  Enjoy!

Printable Recipe

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! Reduced fat, no preservatives and you can control the amount of salt...I am definitely sharing this with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene,
    so easy too, enjoy!
    Thanks,
    SusieBee

    ReplyDelete