Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Rich and Creamy Carrot Soup

One month anniversary for my blog!  I'm so enjoying this-hope you are too!

I found when we moved to Maui that living here didn’t naturally generate those urges to make and eat hearty cool weather fare like soups, chili, stews and the like.  However, I think my blood must have thinned out in the 3 years we’ve been here full time, because I have no problem with those kinds of foods today!

Case in point-this hearty carrot soup.  I had carrots in last week’s produce box and even using some each day in my lunch salad, I still had quite a few left.  And, today is produce day again so last week’s carrots were begging to be used!

I thought about making dilled carrots for a dinner side dish but that didn’t really feel right with the rest of the meal.  So, what could I make with the carrots that I could use later?  Carrot cake?  Love it but, A. having a whole cake around is not on my healthy eating plan right now! And B. I didn’t have what I needed to even make it remotely lower in calories than the “normal recipe”.

So….Soup!  As usual for inspiration, I looked in the pantry and here is what I came up with.  It is really thick and rich, exotic tasting, even.  If you like a thinner soup, use more chicken broth. 

I was also happy to use up a couple of the limes off our new lime tree!

Approximately 250 calories, 16 grams carbs, 20 grams fat, 4 grams protein per cup

Ingredients:
1 C chopped onion
1 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
½ lb carrots, about a generous 2 cups
1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (I prefer to use lite but I only had regular)
1 C low sodium chicken broth
½ tsp turmeric
Zest of 2 small limes
Lime juice

Optional
Black and white sesame seeds for garnish
Salt and pepper as needed


Sauté onion and ginger in olive and sesame oils until translucent.  Add carrots, turmeric, coconut milk, broth, and zest.  Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes.  Oh, the fragrant aroma will have everyone coming in the kitchen to ask “what cha’ makin’?” 


Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.

Puree in blender or food processor.  Be sure to fill no more than ½ way and puree in batches, holding the lid when you turn the blender on.








This made about 3 cups of soup.













Serve with drizzles of lime juice and sesame oil and sprinkles of sesame seeds.  I didn’t add any salt or pepper but certainly add some if you would like.

I thought it looked beautiful in my Deruta dishes

Please share any veggie soup recipes you have!  Broccoli, anyone?  Cauliflower?

4 comments:

  1. Brava! Beautiful presentation,and definitely mouth watering flavours:) I know I'll have to try this one for sure. OH- Happy Blog-iversary! I can't wait to see what you have in store for the next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Arlene-many thanks! I think this would also be good with butternut squash, maybe even pumpkin(?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, first month is one of the biggest milestones 'cos to put that inertia for the first month is most difficult and after that it only get easier and more fun to sail!
    You have a long long way to go :-) Good Luck to you!
    Thank so much for visiting my blog and for your kind words! Really looking forward to staying in touch with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Prerna-the month has flown by, so hopefully as you say it keeps getting easier! I too look forward to following what you are doing on your blog.

    ReplyDelete