Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Recipe for Summer Super Salad Inspiration

Aloha all,
I'm starting to get caught back up from being away for so long!  Hope your summer is going well and you're enjoying some lovely fresh summer produce.  Last week, I was really in the mood for a salad of some type for dinner.  It was a hot, muggy day and my brain was just feeling lethargic-ever get like that?

Anyway, I knew I wanted a salad but not just any salad.  A tasty, "more than lettuce and tomato" kind of salad.  I was searching for some inspiration...didn't really find it with a quick look on line or a perusal of this month's food/recipe magazines stacked up (actually I have a few month's worth stacked up).  I figured I wasn't the only one who would enjoy a summer salad, so I'm sharing today what I ended up putting together.  It was awesome.  


First, the kitchen didn't get heated up because Mr. ELEB cooked the chicken outside on the grill.  Second, I was able to get some great locally grown produce.  And third, the variety of tasty sweet and salty morsels in the salad satisfied my yearnings for something beyond a basic salad.  Hope you will be inspired to create your own Summer Super Salad.


Serves: 2
Time: 30 minutes


Ingredients:

  • 4 cups mixed lettuces
  • 1 cup diced cucumber
  • 1 1/2 cup finely diced tomato (seeded)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup pistachios (salted, shelled)
  • 2 oz. goat's cheese, crumbled
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
  • Drizzle of lemon olive oil (or oil and vinegar mixture)
  • Salt and pepper



Method:

  • Preheat the grill and grill chicken breasts until cooked.
  • Compose or toss salad ingredients together.
  • Add chicken.
  • Dress with olive oil (or oil and vinegar), salt and pepper.



That's it.  Easy, satisfying, tasty.  And lot's of possibilities for variations.  Enjoy!


Printable recipe