Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recipe for Strawberry Chocolate Oat Smoothie




It is widely accepted that oats help lower cholesterol. High cholesterol runs in my family and mine has been up over acceptable levels in the past so I usually have oats as part of my breakfast several times a week.  I love overnight oatmeal but sometimes I want something different.  Could I incorporate oats into a smoothie? Why yes, yes I can!  And you can too.






Yield: 1 smoothie
Time: 3 minutes
Ingredients:
1 cup light organic vanilla soy milk
1 small banana
½ cup strawberries
¼ cup old fashioned oats
1 TBSP dark chocolate peanut butter

Method:
  • Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.



You might be able to pick out the oat fragments in the photo.  I wondered whether they would impact the texture in a negative way.  They don't.  Also, the taste is barely different, a pleasant hint of oats in the background.  The 75 additional calories from the oats are worth it for the nutritional benefit.  If I was really concerned about the calories, I guess I’d leave out the dark chocolate peanut butter.   Nah!



Do you have any interesting ways to incorporate oats, or other whole grains, into your diet?


Printable Recipe