Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Recipe for Post-Bike Ride Shake




One of the reasons Mr. ELEB and I moved to Maui was to be outside all year round with the hope of continuing to stay active and fit as we get older.  I'll admit, although we do pretty good, we don't exercise as much as we should or could.   Between running (for him), biking (both of us), golf (both), swimming (both), walking (me), and weights (me), we get more exercise than we would living on the mainland so I shouldn't go on about it.  What I will go on about is my post workout routine.


I was having a shake/smoothie pretty much after any work out.  "I earned it!" But then I started adding the calories up and realized most of them came in around 350 calories or more.  So I started eating a small piece of fruit and some non-fat yogurt, around 200 calories or less, after most workouts unless I burned at least 500 calories.

This is the scenery on one of my morning rides, down the South Maui coastline.  Don't hate me.


These rides burn between 550 and 800 calories so I definitely "earn" my smoothie!


This is a favorite: strawberries, almond butter, yogurt, soy milk, and spinach.  I love getting a good serving of veggies from the spinach, and honestly, you can't taste it (I like the taste of spinach but some don't or don't like the idea of the taste in a shake).


Makes 1 shake, approximately 341 calories, 16 grams fat, 28 grams carbs, 9 grams fiber, 20 grams protein; 8 WW Points+

Ingredients:

½ cup light soy milk, vanilla flavor
½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 TBSP almond butter
1 cup sliced strawberries

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Are you exercising regularly?  What's your post workout meal/snack?

Printable Recipe