Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recipe for Cumin Cauliflower Casserole with Cheesy Tostitos Topping


Wow, that title is quite the mouthful!  Just trying to be descriptive. 
Last week we got to try the new Tostitos Fire Roasted Chipotle Tortilla Chips as a base for my Ahi Edamame Nachos.   They got an A for taste on their own with some dip and were a great complement to the nachos.

This week we opened the Roasted Garlic Black Bean Tortilla Chips. 

They are nice and thin like the Chipotle ones and held up well to being dipped in some hummus. 

I’ll have to say, the flavor was a bit underwhelming for me.  I’m not sure that if I hadn’t known what the flavor was whether I’d have been able to identify it.  They aren’t bad but I don’t get much garlic and no black bean flavor.  Disappointing.  Ah, well. 

I wanted to give them a try in a recipe so I whipped up this cauliflower dish.


Makes 6 servings each approximately 116 calories, 4.4 grams fat, 10.2 grams carbs, 2.4 grams fiber, 9.5 grams protein; 3 WW Points+

Ingredients:
1 large cauliflower, trimmed into florets
1 ½  cup 4 cheese Mexican blend, 2 %, cheese, divided
1 cup crushed Roasted Garlic Black Bean Tortilla Chips
2 TBSP plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp roasted ground cumin (I just picked this up recently, nice flavor!)
2 TBSP chopped cilantro plus more for serving
Salt and pepper


Cook cauliflower in salted water until soft, about 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mash cauli and combine with ¾ cup cheese, yogurt, cumin, and 2 TBSP cilantro.  Put in a casserole dish. 

Combine remainder of cheese and chips.  Top casserole with chip/cheese mixture.  Bake for  20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning.


The cauliflower itself was pretty good.  Next time I would use a stronger cheese, like an aged cheddar maybe.  The crunchy topping was a fun contrast to the texture of the casserole.

So, two thumbs up for the Chipotle Tostitos.  I’ll probably pass on the Garlic Black Bean ones.

As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program I received these Tostitos Artisan Chips.  The opinions are my own.
Have you tried any new spices or herbs recently?
Printable Recipe