Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Roasted Beets




Wednesday evenings are always fun as we open our veggie delivery to see what goodies have arrived for the week.  I was very pleased to see some fresh beets in a recent delivery.  I love the earthy, subtle flavor of beets and I have never met a beet salad on a menu that I passed up!



Before we left on our Staycation (photos to come soon!), I roasted the beets and stuck them in the fridge and am now enjoying all the wonderful ways to eat this beautiful, tasty root vegetable.  Beets are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamin C, B vitamins, iron, and folate.  You can read more about beet nutrition here.


How do you cook them?


To roast fresh beets, cut the greens off (they can also be cooked and eaten), scrub the outsides, rub with a small amount of olive oil, wrap tightly in foil and place on a baking sheet.  Roast on 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes depending on size.


When the beets have cooled they can be used right away or kept in the fridge for a week or so.  To use, unwrap and gently rub the skin-it will come right off.  Slice and enjoy.

For this salad, I sliced the beets, sprinkled them with a very good goat cheese, walnuts, a good balsamic glaze, salt and pepper and served them on a bed of baby spinach.

For the sandwich, I used sliced roasted beets, goat cheese, baby spinach, turkey, tomato, salt and pepper on a thin bun.

I was originally a bit intimidated by the thought of fresh beets, but I hope you won’t be!
Printable Recipe 

4 comments:

  1. Beets are so delicous, especially when paired with foods with strong flavors (in my humble opinion). I first started really liking them when I lived in Africa and they served them in salads all the time. It was either learn to like beets or don't eat salad for a year... So I like 'em.
    Your recipe looks/sounds delicious. I want to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Steph-yep I agree about the pairing opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beets are so good for you and I've always loved the deep ruby colour too.(I have several nail polishes in that colour, lol) I like the salad very much since whenever I roast beets I serve alone as a side dish. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Arlene-they go so well in a salad. I've gotten beet colored nails when forgetting to wash my hands right away when I peeled them!

    ReplyDelete