Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Chocolate Hazelnut Whole Wheat Pancakes

How did I come up with this concoction for Chocolate Hazelnut Whole Wheat pancakes?  Breakfast at our house is generally pretty simple.   Almost always cereal for the hubby, pretty often for me too.  I’ll also make some of my breakfast quiches and eat those, or some hard boiled eggs.  Rarely do we do pancakes unless we go out.  Primarily because I haven’t found a recipe that feels halfway healthy.  That is until I found this one on Cooks.com

I liked it because it used whole wheat flour as the base and it got rave reviews about lightness and fluffiness.  Sounded good to me.

I felt a little creative this morning so I looked in the pantry and fridge for some inspiration.  Pumpkin?  Probably would be good, but didn’t float my boat and I had recently made pumpkin muffins.  Banana?  Hmmm, sort of ho-hum.  Semi-sweet chocolate mini chips (the tiny ones)?  OK, I can work with that, who wouldn’t like a chocolate treat for breakfast? 

I was thinking of adding some walnuts or other nuts and a light bulb came on…what about chocolate and hazelnut?  Sort of like that amazing choc/hazelnut spread I refuse to buy because I’m tempted to just stick a spoon in it and eat it straight from the jar?

An occasional treat I add to my morning coffee is sugar-free flavored syrup.  I had the hazelnut flavored one.  Ta-da!  So now you know how I ended up here.  The pancakes were awesome.  Light and fluffy as the original recipe promised.  A touch of chocolate and a hint of hazelnut.  Just about perfect.  Very much appreciated by the hubby, too, by the way.

Chocolate Hazelnut Whole Wheat Pancakes
Makes 7 medium pancakes; each pancake 147 calories, 5 grams fat, 22 grams carbs, 5 grams protein (not including any add ons like butter, syrup, whipped cream…)

Ingredients:
1 cup plus 3 TBSP whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼  tsp salt
¼ cup eggbeaters (equivalent to 1 whole egg)
1 cup 1% milk
3 TBSP sugar free hazelnut flavoring syrup (from the coffee aisle at the store)
1 TBSP canola oil
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate mini chips
Butter flavored spray

Method:
Mix the wet ingredients together.  In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and then add to the wet.  Stir in the chocolate mini chips.  The batter will be a bit lumpy-that’s ok.

Spray a non-stick pan with a couple of pumps of butter flavored spray.  Pour ¼ cup of batter per pancake into preheated pan and let cook over medium until the surface shows a lot of bubbles. 
Flip and cook another 2 minutes (check the first one and adjust cooking time based on your stove).

We enjoyed these with a light version of a butter-like spread and sugar-free syrup.  Next time I’ll warm the syrup and maybe add to it a little of the hazelnut syrup for even more wonderful flavor.

We had a couple left over that I was going to put in the fridge and reheat for tomorrow’s breakfast.  I left them cooling on the counter.  That was the last I saw of them…pretty sure I know where they went!