I'm starting to get caught back up from being away for so long! Hope your summer is going well and you're enjoying some lovely fresh summer produce. Last week, I was really in the mood for a salad of some type for dinner. It was a hot, muggy day and my brain was just feeling lethargic-ever get like that?
Anyway, I knew I wanted a salad but not just any salad. A tasty, "more than lettuce and tomato" kind of salad. I was searching for some inspiration...didn't really find it with a quick look on line or a perusal of this month's food/recipe magazines stacked up (actually I have a few month's worth stacked up). I figured I wasn't the only one who would enjoy a summer salad, so I'm sharing today what I ended up putting together. It was awesome.
First, the kitchen didn't get heated up because Mr. ELEB cooked the chicken outside on the grill. Second, I was able to get some great locally grown produce. And third, the variety of tasty sweet and salty morsels in the salad satisfied my yearnings for something beyond a basic salad. Hope you will be inspired to create your own Summer Super Salad.
Time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups mixed lettuces
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 1/2 cup finely diced tomato (seeded)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup pistachios (salted, shelled)
- 2 oz. goat's cheese, crumbled
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- Drizzle of lemon olive oil (or oil and vinegar mixture)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill and grill chicken breasts until cooked.
- Compose or toss salad ingredients together.
- Add chicken.
- Dress with olive oil (or oil and vinegar), salt and pepper.
That's it. Easy, satisfying, tasty. And lot's of possibilities for variations. Enjoy!