Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts



Soggy, grey, bland, bitter.  Those are the attributes I think of when I think of Brussels sprouts.  I haven’t eaten them since I was a young kid at school and used to spit the boiled sprouts into my napkin and try to stash them somewhere the teacher wouldn’t see.  Gross, I know, but I’m just saying-bleck, that’s been my lifelong reaction to the little fellas.

But, the older I get the more open minded I get and after seeing roasted Brussels sprouts on countless menus, and Mr. ELEB dropping hints that he LOVES Brussels sprouts, I bought some.  And…ta da…I did enjoy them.  I wouldn’t say they are my favorite veggie in the whole world or anything like that but I won’t avoid an entrée on a menu anymore if Brussels sprouts are the side dish.



I noticed Mr. ELEB was underwhelmed when we ate these.  He was “wow”ing all over the roasted chicken I had made, but pretty quiet about the Brussels sprouts.  Turns out he likes them boiled-go figure!

Makes 2 servings, each approximately 98 calories, 7 grams fat, 8 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein, 3 WW Points+

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh Brussels sprouts
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP Herbes de Provence
Salt and pepper

Method:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wash; trim ends and any loose outer leaves from Brussels sprouts.  Cut in half (or quarters if large).
Toss with olive oil and seasonings.

Roast in casserole dish (or on baking pan) for 30 minutes or until nicely caramelized.
Serve right away.

Are you a fan of Brussels sprouts?  What veggies have you learned to eat as an adult that you hated as a kid?

Printable Recipe