From Mr. ELEB: "that's another recipe you can make ANY time you like!" In other words, I think he liked these caprese bison burgers. If you don't have access to ground bison (buffalo), you can use ground turkey or ground beef (lean). If you haven't tried bison, I highly recommend it. You can read more about bison here (and order some really yummy meat).
Yield: 3 substantial burgers
Time: 15 minutes (plus time to heat the grill if grilling outdoors)
- 1 1/4 pound ground bison
- 2 TBSP finely diced mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices of mozzarella cheese, about 1/2 inch thick to fit the burgers
- 2 TBSP finely chopped fresh basil plus 8-10 more leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Thick slices of ripe tomatoes
- Preheat the grill if cooking outdoors.
- Mix the bison, diced mozzarella, and chopped basil together and form 6 balls.
- Flatten 3 of the balls and place a slice of mozzarella and a few basil leaves on each of the 3.
- Top with the remaining balls of bison and seal and press gently into a patty.
- Generously salt and pepper the patties.
- Cook over medium to medium high heat in a skillet (or outdoor grill) about 4 1/2-5 minutes per side.
- Top with a slice of tomato and serve (can serve with a bun or plain).
When you cut in to these, you get the nice surprise of gently melted mozzarella-yummy! Do a search in the top right column on this blog for other inside out burger recipe ideas. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!