While we were eating this, I was silently musing over what to call it. Mr. ELEB solved the problem for me, calling it "fun rice". I liked the name-it fit-so there you have it!
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hour (depending on rice)
- 1 cup rice mix (wild, brown, etc; or just wild rice or brown rice)
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice mix per package directions (mine was 1 cup mix to 2 cups liquid, simmer for 50 minutes).
- When rice is cooked, stir in cranberries and cover for 5 minutes.
- Just prior to serving, stir in the pistachios, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
This is super easy and is also good reheated or served cold the following day (the pistachios get slightly soft but still taste great).