I was a little nervous when I got Barbara Bakes for my assignment for this month's Secret Recipe Club. We'd just finished off the amazing Armenian Coffee Cake I made and really didn't want or need to have anything else tempting in the house for a while.
I needn't have feared though. Barbara has, in addition to all her mouth watering baked goods, a great selection of savory dishes. Her chicken piccata recipe got my attention right away since it is a "quick and easy" recipe and one of our favorite chicken dishes to order at a restaurant. However, I'd never made it at home, which won't be an issue now I have her recipe in my files!
Barbara, like many of us, started her blog to share her favorite family recipes and her adventures in the kitchen. She also enjoys the Daring Bakers recipes as I do (where the Coffee Cake came from!).
The only significant change I made to the original recipe was throwing in some mushrooms which I know isn't traditional but they made a nice addition to the sauce and we eat them any time we can.
Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- AP flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Fresh lemon slices
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Plastic wrap or waxed paper
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a non-stick frying pan.
- Slice each chicken breast in half horizontally to make thinner pieces.
- Place the thin pieces between waxed paper or plastic wrap and pound to very thin (about 1/4 inch).
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour on both sides, shaking off any excess flour.
- Brown and cook the chicken in the oil, about 2-3 minutes per side (depending on how thin you got them).
- Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Pour off any remaining oil and deglaze pan with wine, gently stirring for a minute to release the "brown bits" from the pan.
- Add garlic, broth and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and capers and cook an additional minute to warm through.
- Return chicken and any juices to pan and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Plate chicken and then stir butter in to sauce.
- Top chicken with sauce, chopped parsley and lemon slices.
If you like a lot of sauce, I would double the liquids but otherwise this recipe is perfect!
Some of the other Secret Recipe Club recipes I've made (Search for "Secret Recipe Club" in the search box on the right):