Here is another easy meatless Monday recipe for you! This recipe is easily adaptable to whatever veggies you have on hand. I used fresh thyme for the seasoning but basil or even rosemary would also work. The secret to the frittata not sticking in the pan is to use a good pan (one that is oven proof since this is going under the broiler) and let it cooked undisturbed...I know you want to go in there and loosen the edges or stir it around while it is cooking...don't!
BTW, check out the new tab at the top of the page: "Photography".
|After the balsamic has cooked down|
|Ready for the broiler|
|Out of the oven|
Yield: 3 servings
Time: 30 minutes
· 1 TBSP olive oil
· 1 TBSP butter
· 2 medium Portobello mushrooms, stem and gills removed, chopped in large chunks
· 2 cloves garlic, smashed
· ½ cup finely diced red onion
· 1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves, plus more for serving
· 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
· 6 Eggs
· 3 cups fresh Spinach
· ¾ cup Marinara sauce
· ¼ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan, plus more for serving
· Salt and pepper
· Preheat broiler.
· In large oven proof skillet (or medium if you want a thicker frittata) heat oil and butter over medium heat.
· Cook onion, mushrooms, garlic and ½ tsp salt for 5 minutes.
· Add vinegar and cook 3 minutes more.
· Add spinach and cook until wilted.
· Beat eggs and pour over veggies, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook over medium for 5 minutes.
· Sprinkle with parmesan.
· Place under broiler for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning. While frittata cooks, warm marinara sauce.
· Cut into thirds and serve each with ¼ cup of marinara and sprinkles of fresh thyme and cheese. REMEMBER-the pan is hot!
Cut into thirds this is just over 300 calories per serving including the marinara sauce. You could eat half of it for a larger meal.