Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe for Pear and Prosciutto Appetizer



When I move to San Francisco, one of my neighbors ended up being a co-worker and good friend.  She is part Italian and introduced me to prosciutto wrapped melon which we used to lap up as an afternoon snack with a glass of wine on our roof top deck (on those days when you could enjoy the sun outside in San Francisco without a coat on).  The light and salty flavor of the prosciutto complemented the sweetness of the melon perfectly.  Those Italians know how to do food right!


Now in Maui, we can enjoy the outdoors pretty much any day we like (don't hate me!).  I still love prosciutto wrapped melon and thought it would be perfect as a nibble for when our friends were coming over to do some trip planning.  (Oh, and also some wine drinking).  However, I couldn't find a decent melon to save my life, so I improvised with the pears.   Turns out, the Mr. of the couple doesn't like ANY melon...things work out for a reason sometimes-I've learned not to fight it!  And the pears were beautiful with the prosciutto!


Yield: 4 appetizer servings
Time: 10 minutes


Ingredients:
  • 2 firm pears
  • 1 (4 oz) package Prosciutto di Parma (or fresh sliced from the deli)
Method:
  • Trim both ends off pears and peel.
  • Slice into wedges and remove seeds and core.
  • Wrap slices of prosciutto around pear wedges.
  • Serve chilled.



This is about as easy as it gets for a simple yet elegant appetizer.  It goes great with a crisp white wine or champagne.


What recipes of your friends have you made into your own?
Printable Recipe