Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Recipe for Butternut Squash "Fries"


I put fries in quotation marks for this recipe because these are not crispy like potato fries.  They are even less crispy than sweet potato fries.  However, they are good and easy to make; another way to get some good veggies on the plate.   We ate them with buffalo burgers-yummy!

I had half a butternut squash left over from making pan-cooked veggies and was standing with the refrigerator door open, noodling over what to have with the burgers I had on the menu plan for the night.  I had a packet of sweet potato fries in the freezer but had recently seen a couple of blogs featuring butternut squash fries (sorry, I can't remember which blogs).  So...I thought I'd give it a try.  I simply rubbed the squash slices with olive oil, baked on 400 for 20 minutes and sprinkled with salt.  Nice.

I figured the squash would be like sweet potatoes-difficult to crisp up in the oven due to the moisture content. I used the technique I use with sweet potato fries (a cooling rack over a baking sheet).  They browned nicely but as expected, didn't crisp.  Don't let that deter you though.  These are tasty!



Yield: 2 servings
Time: 25 minutes


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 medium butternut squash
  • 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • salt
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Peel squash and cut into fries.
  • Rub olive oil over fries and place fries on cooling rack set over baking pan.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.

Do you have a method for veggie fries that works to crisp them up?