Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Recipe for Breakfast Quinoa



When I was on the mainland recently, I saw Breakfast Quinoa on a restaurant menu.  I didn’t try it but was intrigued.  I like quinoa-it’s healthy (more protein than any other grain and contains all eight essential amino acids), adapts well to whatever you put with it, and is easy to make.  I wondered how it would do following the method I use for my overnight oatmeal.


And the answer is--- not well.  It really just sat there overnight in the fridge and didn’t do anything.  The next morning the little quinoa pearls were all on the bottom of the bowl and the liquids all on top.  Boo.


Undeterred, I poured it all into a saucepan and cooked it for 15 minutes.  Now that’s more like it!  I dressed it up with some almonds and raisins and enjoyed a hearty warm bowl for breakfast. 

However, it is summer so I stuck the leftovers in the fridge and tried it cold the next day.  Not bad, not as good as overnight oatmeal but certainly enjoyable.



Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • ½ cup organic quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup light vanilla soy milk
  • ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 TBSP agave
  • Sprinkle of raisins, almonds or other tid bits

Method:

  • Mix all ingredients in a saucepan, except the sprinkles, and bring to a simmer.
  • Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Serve warm or cold with your choice of sprinkles.




Printable Recipe