Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Fruit Salad


Take five minutes on Sunday and enjoy a nice fruit salad for the next 3-4 days.  I’ve been trying to get back in the habit of prepping stuff a bit at a time so it isn’t always a start from scratch with every meal or snack.  Plus I find I eat healthier when I put some thought into it rather than just opening the cupboard or fridge and grabbing whatever catches my eye.    By then I’m usually hungry and want immediate satisfaction and won’t spend the few minutes it takes to put something like this fruit salad together.


I find if I keep this in the bottom of the fridge where it is coldest, the fruit will stay firm for about 4 days.  After that, things start breaking down.  If it isn’t all eaten by then, in to the blender for a smoothie!

In this salad:
1 medium apple
1 medium pluot (part plum, part apricot hybrid fruit)
½ cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
2 handfuls of green seedless grapes
2 handfuls of strawberries
1 small navel orange
1 small blood orange

Cut everything into bite size pieces.  Refrigerate in an airtight container.  That’s it!  Serve on its own, with yogurt, over cereal or oatmeal, with a dab of whipped cream, or if feeling sinful with some melted chocolate!


If you like bananas in your fruit salad, I’d recommend adding them as you eat it, I find they get mushy otherwise.

Do you prep ahead on the weekend?