Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Recipe for Sardine Salad Appetizer

OK, this will either be something you love or not.  I’d never eaten sardines before.  They just freak me out-little fishy things with teeny bones. Eww.

But, I keep reading how good they are for you, packed with all those omega-3s and tons of B12.  Plus they are a good source of lean protein.

So I bit the bullet and bought some when I came across cans of sardines packed in water, no bones, no skin.  So great, now what do I do with them?  Well, I needed an appetizer for Thanksgiving and I wanted something light and healthy so I figured I could make up a light fish salad kind of thing and spread it on some slices of cucumber.  Here’s how it turned out.  I liked it a lot.  Others did too, but not everyone!


For 1/6 of recipe-no cucumber or crackers, approximately 95 calories, 6 grams fat, 0 grams carbs, 10 grams protein, 0 fiber; 2 WW Points +

Ingredients:
3 cans boneless, skinless sardines packed in water
1 ½ TBSP finely diced shallot
2 TBSP NFGY, plain
Juice of large lemon (about 2 TBSP)
2 tsp dry dill weed, plus more for sprinkling
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sriracha, or other hot sauce to taste
Lemon slice for serving
Paprika for serving
Slices of cucumber for serving
Crackers for serving

Method:
Drain sardines. 
Mix shallot, yogurt, lemon juice, dill weed, salt, and sriracha gently into sardines. 
Press into a bowl or small pie pan (I used an individual pie pan) and chill.  When ready to serve, invert out onto serving platter, sprinkle with dill and paprika, garnish with slice of lemon. 
Arrange crackers and cucumber slices around platter.


Have you branched out and tried something new and healthy?  How was it?


Printable recipe