Mr. ELEB is training for a half marathon and wanted a bit more carbs in some of our meals. We both like whole grain pasta so I created another baked pasta recipe inspired by my December Secret Recipe Club recipe.
This time, the flavor palette is more in the Mexican/Latin realm and I added in some spinach and black beans to really make it a one pot meal. This is another really easy, no fail recipe. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think.
Yield: 6 hearty servings
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 ¼ lb. ground turkey breast
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed in paper towels to remove extra moisture
- 1 ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 8 oz. whole grain rotini pasta
- 32 oz. thick and chunky salsa
- 3 TBSP taco seasoning
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Season turkey with taco seasoning and heat olive oil in skillet.
- Cook turkey in hot oil until no longer pink.
- Stir in the black beans, spinach, and salsa and heat until bubbling.
- Stir in the cooked, drained pasta and ½ of the the cheese.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and pour in the pasta/meat mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until bubbling and cheese is melted.
I hope you have a safe and happy New Year-be safe!