Even though it is warm/hot year around here in Maui, there is something about summer that just makes me want fresh, tasty salads. This quinoa salad is great. Simple to make, yet complex in taste. It is great as a side dish to grilled meats or alone as a meatless main course option.
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 as a side dish
- 1 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for serving
- 1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¾ cup chopped toasted marcona almonds
- Bring quinoa, water, garlic and salt to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes (or per package directions).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir in red peppers, mint, feta and almonds.
- Taste for salt and add as needed.
- Serve at room temperature.
I used some of my homemade roasted red peppers but you could certainly use jarred. Don't skimp on the mint, feta or almonds!
What summer salads are you making?