Mission

Celebrating the delights of good healthy everyday food and special treats! Sharing recipes, information, and experiences.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Recipe for Smoky Tomatillo Sauce




My friends make the most amazing herb sauces to go with grilled meats.  One is a cilantro flavor bomb and the other is an amazing lime and tomatillo sauce.  I need to get the recipes, but in the mean time, I came up with my own flavor bomb-if you love cumin, you’ll love this sauce.  We had it with grilled pork chops the other night and it was amazing!  The ground nuts add a pleasant twist!

Time: 5 minutes plus chilling time
Yield: 1 ½ cups

Ingredients:
  • 1 can, 12 oz, whole tomatillos, drained
  • ½ cup cilantro leaves
  • Juice of ½ lemon or lime
  • 2 tsp smoked cumin (I’m sure it would be good with regular cumin too)
  • ½ cup roasted almonds
  • Salt to taste


Method:
  • Place all ingredients in food processor and process until well combined.
  • Chill for one hour before serving.


I’m gazing at the left over sauce and coming up with all kinds of ideas to use it.  I’ll let you know my favorites!  Do you make any herb sauces?  Please share!


Printable Recipe